From March to April 2019, Executive Yuan’s Department of Consumer Protection (hereinafter referred to as the DCP), in collaboration with the Ministry of Economic Affairs' Bureau of Standards, Metrology and Inspection (hereinafter referred to as the BSMI), purchased in Taipei City and New Taipei City 12 pieces of children’s cots and folding cots for domestic use (hereinafter referred to as the cribs), of which 8 were bought from physical stores and 4 from online shopping platforms. It was found that 11 pieces did not meet the quality requirements and 9 failed to meet the labeling requirements. The DCP has requested the concerned competent authorities, namely the BSMI, the Central Region Office of Ministry of Economic Affairs (hereinafter referred to as the CRO) to deal with the non-compliant operators according to law and urge them to improve the situations promptly.
Given the fact that the crib is the primary activity area for infants and young kids, it is critical to correct the safety deficiencies in the cribs. To ensure the safety of infants and young kids, the DCP and the BSMI conducted quality inspection and checked the labeling of the commercially available cribs. For the quality check, the BSMI commissioned the Taiwan Children's Commodities R&D Center to examine according to the national standard CNS 11676 “children’s cots and folding cots for domestic use”, covering such inspection items as materials, initial stability, construction, final stability, mattress size, etc.; the labeling is checked by the CRO according to the Commodity Labelling Act and other relevant standards and regulations governing the labeling for the cribs.
The results of this test and check are described as follows:
I. Quality testing:
(I) In compliance with the requirements for materials, initial stability, construction, and final stability of CNS 11676 “children’s cots and folding cots for domestic use”: 1 piece.
(II) Non-compliance with regulations: 11 pieces, which are separately described as follows:
- Material (For example, the flame-spreading rate of fabrics shall not exceed 30mm/s): 1 piece.
- Initial stability (The bed must not be overturned during the test): 2 pieces.
- Structure (For example, the size of the hole, the gap and the opening inside the bed should meet the specified range): 10 pieces.
- Final stability (Stability is repetitively tested): 2 pieces.
- The size of the mattress (If the mattress is attached to the bed, its size should meet the requirements): 5 pieces.
II. Check on the labeling:
(I) In compliance with the "standards and regulations governing the labeling for the cribs": 3 pieces.
(II) Failure to comply with the regulations: 9 pieces, the main violations are listed as follows:
- Incomplete or unmarked information of the manufacturer (contractor): 8 pieces.
- Failure to mark warning signs or special warning signs according to regulations: 5 pieces.
The case was reported to the CPC’s 63rd meeting, and the CPC chairman instructed that the Ministry of Economic Affairs should handle the following matters:
- Deal with the goods that failed to meet the requirements as soon as possible and conduct regular and irregular follow-up inspections.
- Actively coach the industry to improve and strengthen the education to consumers.
Deliberate over listing the cribs as a commodity to be tested.